Our latest issue out now!Fall 2017
By Robbin Rubio
Summertime is just around the corner and it is my favorite season for many reasons. I love the warm sun, longer days, poolside parties, and family vacations. I like the smell of fresh cut grass, the neighbors barbecuing, I even enjoy the scent of chlorine. For me summer is meant to be spent outside and I have always dreamed of having a summer vacation home, maybe at the beach or one on a lake. But the reality is like most of us, I feel lucky to have one roof over my head. That’s why I use a little imagination to make my own house feel more like a vacation home during the summer. Here are some ways you can bring summer inside your home too:
1. Clear out some of the clutter. Pair down your accessories and store them for the summer. Think light, airy, and crisp.
2. Change out some of your accent pillows. This is the easiest way to completely change a room. Take out the dark or heavy pillows and put in some light and bright ones. If you’re a neutral person try a light grey. Mix it with a citrine yellow or a Kelly green. Bold color is in style right now. It is everywhere from fashion to home accessories. You don’t have to spend a lot of money. Target, Home Goods, and Z Gallerie have a big selection in almost every color palette.
3. Let the sun shine in .Pull back your draperies and open your shutters. Install a retractable screen and open some windows. We are lucky enough to live in Southern California. Open your house up and enjoy it!
4. Install a fountain outside your kitchen window. This is the window most of us open first. We can enjoy the sound of running water as we make our morning coffee and get a subtle and relaxing start on our day.
5. Change your candle scent. Get rid of the heavy winter and holiday scents and bring in a new summer smell. Try lavender, crisp linen, or floral blend. I always know summer is near when I smell the jasmine blooming outside.
6. Change your bedding. In the winter we want to snuggle under heavy blankets. Now is the time to put them away for crisp, light cotton bedding. My favorite thing about hotels is the starched white bedding. This can be your luxury at home too. West Elm has a great selection at affordable prices.
7. Bring home fresh flowers. There’s no need for a large, expensive bouquet every week. Instead, pick some up at your local farmers market or grocery store. Buy some small vases at IKEA and spread one bunch into several small arrangements and put them around your house. Make sure you get bright colors like purple, orange, or yellow. If you’re new at arrangements you can get all one type of flower in the same shade. It is very easy and always looks great. Make sure you put an arrangement beside your bed and one in your kitchen. Add a drop of bleach and some sugar to the water and they will last much longer.
8. Put one of your rugs away. Bare floors are beautiful in the summer. They are cool and clean and can make a heavy dark room feel light and crisp. If you must have one try a sea grass or jute rug for the summer months.
9. Add some white. White dishes, white pillows, white flowers and white sheets – the choices are endless. This is the neutral for summer. Everything looks great against it!
10. Display fruit in a big beautiful bowl on your counter or table. Nature provides us with the most beautiful colors in the rainbow. Citrus fruits scream summer and not only look beautiful but are delicious treats to have on hand.
To see Robbin’s work visit robbinrubiointeriors.com